The following insights are powered by Nielsen in partnership with Unioncrate, an artificial intelligence demand planning platform that combines consumer behavior and historical shipment data to predict sales and inventory with up to 91.6% SKU-level accuracy.
Welcome to Day 18 of Unioncrate’s Year In Review, looking at the conditioner category’s 5.4% growth this year.
- March’s stockpiling brought a boost in growth for the conditioner category, with a 20.4% increase in sales in the 4-week period ended 3/21.
- With enough time at home to condition hair the conventional way, dry conditioner was no longer needed, experiencing a 24% drop this year.
- Curl-enhancing conditioner was the most popular subcategory during the pandemic, growing 31.6% in the 40-week period since March.
Conditioned to Be Great
- Henkel North America launched a vegan, clean hair brand that’s designed to be as natural as possible without sacrificing performance.
- Innersense Organic Beauty is set to eliminate virgin plastic from their supply chain by the first quarter of 2021, partnering with Plastic Bank earlier this year to source and properly recycle plastic for reuse.
- Hair care conglomerate John Paul Mitchell Systems developed an AI hair and scalp tool to evaluate users’ hair and recommend specific products from any of the company’s eight brands that would work for them.
- Dove’s parent company Unilever announced that it is aiming to incorporate 100% post-consumer recycled plastic into its Dove brands by 2025, making it the company’s most ambitious sustainability initiative yet.